Saturday, January 10, 2015

The Fall, New Figure Painting

So far the greatest benefit of re-writing a blog is having past posts I can recycle. It's a nice break from trying to write something clever.

Recently I decided to take a risk and do a painting with a lot of texture and some wonderful drippy paint. I've done drips before but this time I wanted it combined with some knifework. Normally when an artist decides to try something new, she paints a study first. I'm not normal. I dive right in.

The Fall, 14x24, Oil on Linen

The model is my niece Evelyn. Evie is a typical little girl, energetic, bright, caring. But what I wanted to capture is the look she gets when she is lost in deep thought. 

Coming up with the concept is easy. The photo shoot was a different story. Put a pretty little dress on a pretty little girl and try to explain to her your artistic vision for the painting to follow. What I got was a fairy princess who wanted nothing more than to laugh and twirl. After over 400 images, I was getting tired and frustrated; she was getting tired and frustrated, and I finally got the shot I was looking for.

Evie was visiting when I was working on the painting. I wanted to finish it before she had to go home (she lives over 1,000 miles away). Four weeks of work. It took a lot of late nights and working through the weekend, but I did it! Her reaction was the best: "look at my hair! I love it!". 

I entered the painting in the Richeson 75 International Portrait / Figure Competition. I was thrilled to be named a finalist. I was able to attend the artist reception. I'm so glad I did.

Second Place 2014 Richeson 75 Portrait/Figure Competition

There were so many awesome works there! I was beyond honored to take second place. To see all the finalists, visit Richeson 75




No comments:

Post a Comment