Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Newest Painting, Quiet Reserve

This one took me a little longer than expected. But, I always tell myself, "better do it right than fast". I started out the idea of wearing some sort of armor, but not full on battle armor. I wanted something a bit more subtle. I searched around looking for the right thing, but couldn't find what I was looking for. Than it hit me, why not make it myself?

Arm Cuff

I created the cuff out of a soup can, felt and polymer clay. I love how humble materials can make really cool stuff. The polymer clay was painted with a special paint that has bits of metal suspended in it. That way you can put an authentic patina on the finish. It looks like sunken treasure!

I made the hair comb to match:
Polymer Clay Hair Comb, $35 USD

I am offering the hair comb for sale. I plan on making a lot of the props for upcoming paintings and offering some for sale. The price includes the display frame, and the comb can be removed to wear. It is sealed with a clear finish.  All sales will be invoiced through PayPal and shipping will be calculated. E-mail me if you are interested. 

I would have loved to offer the cuff for sale too, but it turned out way too fragile. I broke it 5 times before the photo shoot. Luckily, I was able to repair the breaks so they don't show, but I know it would not take shipping well. Live and learn!

So now for the finished painting:

Quiet Reserve

It was a little less weird painting a self portrait this time. I think along the way I try to forget it is me.

There is a lot of meaning in this one. I don't want to give too much away, but in this painting I am turning away from the light, pausing a moment while seeming to come to terms with what is in front of me. Although turning away, I am taking a step forward into the light, not backing away from the challenge that I face. 

I think I have said it before, but I love painting white! The dress was tough to get right, but I love the myriad of colors that are needed for a white object to "read" correctly. I have a white peony sprouting in my garden. Last year it had only one blossom, and I couldn't bring myself to cut it. I hope this year I have a few so I can at least paint a still life with one!  





No comments:

Post a Comment